Monday, September 26, 2016

How To Create a Watercolor Background {Fun Stampers Journey}

Hello friends! Happy Monday! The watercoloring continues, in my little crafty corner of the world. I just can't help myself. For reals y'all. Can't stop.

For today's card, I created a watercolor background, and simply added a die cut twig, and a stamped sentiment on top. The white sprig of berries allows the colorful background to shine, and I love that!


To cover the watercolor paper with color, here's what I did. First, scroll on down to the tutorial in my last post. Did you see how I make a puddle of color using watercolor pencils and water? That's how this card started as well - except I created a larger puddle, and I added a variety of greens and blues. The colors will blend and mix together just a bit, so definitely choose colors that will blend nicely together! Next, I used a large wet paintbrush and brushed gently over my watercolor paper, avoiding the edges, (so the paper will really drink up the color!) Then, I simply placed my watercolor paper face down on the puddle of color, patted it gently, and then picked it up to see what I had created! 

After the watercolor dries (I generally take a heat tool or hairdryer to it because I don't like to wait!) I adhered the die cut Bloom Cluster on the card, and added a stamped sentiment. I covered the die cut with Journey Glaze (dimensional glaze) and added a splatter of Silk. I love the cool bright colors - they're very calming, aren't they? It's fun for me to work with watercolor, because I never know quite what I'll end up with. Sometimes I'll just play around and create some different watercolor panels, and then I have them ready to go as I work on projects. It's so fun! 
Thanks for stopping by today! Have a JOYFUL week! xoxo

PS Have you seen the new gallery at the FSJ website?! All sorts of fun search tools to find just the inspiration you need! Check it out here! FSJ Gallery

Supplies on this project:


4 comments:

Nancy said...

Nice art work!

Karen Schroeder said...

Laura, I love the watercolor background! I'll be trying that technique soon! Awesome card!

Celeste Goff said...

Gorgeous card! I love this technique!

Celeste Goff said...

Gorgeous card! I love this technique!